Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
Nayarit is a state on the Pacific Coast of Mexico where seafood is abundant and the flavors are ample. These stuffed chilies are a popular local appetizer. The sweet mango and the spiciness of the poblano chiles pair really well in this recipe. This dish is served cold. If you like some heat these are wonderful, if you like them hotter add jalapenos.... I love the heat!!!
- 6 (1/4 lb) poblano chiles, roasted and peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb cooked crabmeat or 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, flaked
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives or 2 tablespoons green onions
- 1⁄2 lb mango, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup canned mango nectar (NOT juice)
- 1 small garlic clove, roasted and chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 6 sprigs thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- STUFFED CHILES:.
- Make slit in 1 side of each roasted chili.
- Carefully devein & de-seed without tearing chiles. Soak chiles in a bowl of water with few drops vinegar and set aside.
- Heat butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil in saucepan. Add onion and cook until tender. Add crab meat and a tablespoon of the chives and cook 1 minute.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil in skillet. Add mango and saute until softened, about 2 - 3 minutes. Add crab mixture and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Let Cool.
- Drain chiles and stuff each one with about 1/4 cup of the filling.
- Puree mangos in a food processor or blender. Place in saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring, until thickened, 5 - 7 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Blend puree, vinegar, stock, mango nectar, garlic and salt and pepper to taste in food processor or blender until smooth. Gradually add olive oil, blending until emulsified. Check seasoning and add sugar if needed. Chill.
- Place large spoonful of vinaigrette on 6 chilled salad plates. Top with Stuffed Chile. Bathe chiles with additional vinaigrette. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon chopped chives over all and garnish with thyme sprig. Dust with freshly ground pepper.