Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from the Penrose Victorian Inn (bed and breakfast) in Haydenville, Massachussettes and is a heritage recipe. It is the best coffee cake I have ever tasted and ever made! I make it for our church breakfasts from time to time and everyone scarfs it right up! Just as fast as the Caramel Rolls! Now that is a feat here in North Dakota! I hope you enjoy this fabulous recipe! Hugs, Jelly :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Batter: Sift 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat egg until frothy. Beat in sugar and butter until combined. Add milk, sour cream, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture a little at a time and mix on low until combined. Do not over mix. If the batter is too stiff add a little more milk.
- Streusel topping: Combine last 4 ingredients (make sure your butter for the streusel is chilled) in a small bowl and mix together, then set aside.
- Put 1/2 the batter in a 8x8 - inch greased pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle 1/2 streusel over batter. Repeat. Bake at 350 degrees in a preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Topping with chopped nuts is also an option if you like nuts!
This sounded like a scrumptious treat, and it didn't disappoint. I gave it 40 minutes in the oven, and it turned out perfectly moist. Also, because I wasn't clever enough to achieve the layering and didn't feel like there was sufficient streusel for two layers, I doubled the streusel recipe. Then I mixed the first batch in with the cake batter and sprinkled the second batch on top. Am I going to bother adjusting the calories and fat in my head? No way!
I too had to bake for 45 min, other than that pretty easy and wonderful !! Was a birthday cake for my husband who hates chocolate and not a fan of a lot of sugary icings..
Thanks for the recipe !!
Oh . . . my . . . yum!! This is to die for! I'm a cinnamon crumb cake aficionado and this is the best I've ever had. Super rich and super moist. Fair warning, it is not for the calorie-counter. Perfect for when you have friends or family over for a visit. I doubled the recipe and baked in a 13"X9" pan for 40 minutes. Turned out perfectly.