Crumb Coffee Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour milk (see remarks)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F and spray an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the brown sugar and flour until well combined and lump free, add the melted butter and stir well or crumble it between your hands until well blended.
- Reserve 3/4 c of the mixture for topping, if desired mix cinnamon into the topping mixture.
- Mix in the baking powder, then add the milk and egg and mix well.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumbs evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake at 325° for about 55-60 minutes or until cake pulls slightly away from the side of the pan and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm, even better with whipped cream, cool whip or ice-cream.
Join The Conversation
This was a very good cake....I did make a few alterations...Because i read on here that a few found it too sweet I cut the sugar back to 1 1/2 cups (although next time I may even try just 1 cup). I did not take any of the crumble out to reserve it I just left it as a whole cake. I also added 1 tsp of cinnamon and a sprinkle of nutmeg and all spice. The cake came out moist and has a nice spice to it. Really nice coffee cake. I like it plain but there are a few recipes on here for nice butter cream icings :) I think a bit of store bought caramel sauce drizzled over top would be quite nice too. All in all great recipe and easy easy with few ingredients.