Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
My MIL was a caterer for many years--this is one of her best recipes, and one that all 9 of her grandchildren could not wait to devour!!!
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (12 ounce) package mini chocolate chips, at room temp
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream the cream cheese and the butter together until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar and cream well.
- Add the vanilla and the brandy, mixing well.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well each time.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch and baking powder together, and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add the dry ingredients/chips to the egg/sugar mixture gradually, mixing well after each addition.
- Heavily grease a bundt or a 10 inch tube pan, and pour the cake batter into the pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the oven heat to 300 degrees and bake for another 1 hour and 20 minutes.
This cake is excellent! I wanted to make a spec treat for my DH who has been so tolerant w/me during ZWT & this was truly spec ... an easy fix w/a lovely dense, moist & rich outcome. The recipe makes a lrg cake & I'll prob halve it next time. I used apricot brandy (just what I had on hand), but didn't notice even a subtle flavour of it. No doubt here - a 5 star standout! Thx for posting.
Hate to review without a taste, but had to leave one comment. The batter was SO yummy (made w bourbon blend-Jack Daniels TN Honey-instead of brandy). I can't cut it open yet as it's for a lunch tomorrow, but it's beautiful and (I cream the heck out of the butter and sugar for any pound cake) the texture LOOKS perfect. BUT it was very near done an hour after dropping the heat, and unlike some of the other posters, my oven's usually pretty accurate. I didn't have a back up thermometer in there, so can't swear to it, but I think 1:20 would have seriously overcooked it. It smells WONDERFUL. Can't wait to taste it tomorrow!
This cake was delicious! I love the subtle brandy flavor and the richness of the chocolate chips. The cake was easy to make and baked up perfectly - a real winner! Baked in memory of Chef-I-Am, 10/2007.