Recipe by Just Call Me Martha
These triple layered squares have a very chocolaty bottom layer, a sweet buttery custard centre and a firm chocolate top layer. They are very attractive on a cookie tray and taste divine. These have been a family favourite since I was a little kid. Prep time includes chilling time.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Made these for Freezer Tag and so glad I did, I'd never heard of them before but what a great chocolate fix and soooo easy to make. I didn't know what "custard powder" was, (and couldn't find it in my grocery store) so used instant vanilla pudding and it worked great. This is a recipe I'll be using a lot with the holidays. I did take into account the previous review regarding the amount of chocolate topping so increased the amount I used by one square of each semi sweet and unsweetened with an extra 1/2 tablespoon of butter and it was perfect. I thank you for posting. I'm freezing (it is freezer tag) by cutting into small squares, then wrapping individually with saran wrap and slipping two together into a freezer bag. Then I'll thaw by taking them out and letting them come to room temp. I'll be back to update when I find out how they do. As an update, these froze just fine. I was concerned due to the cream filling, but not a problem. Just as good the 2nd time around as the first.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 5 tablespoons white sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup fine coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ½ cup butter, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and egg together in small saucepan.
- Cook over low to medium heat until well mixed.
- In large bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, coconut and nuts.
- Pour chocolate mixture over top and mix well.
- Pat into 9-inch square pan.
- Cream milk, custard powder and ¼ cup butter together.
- Add confectioner’s sugar to make a firm, but soft spread.
- Spread on top of first layer and chill again.
- Melt chocolate and butter together.
- Spread over previous layer and chill.
- Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before slicing.