Nanaimo Bars (With 6 Variations)
These no-bake, three layered snack bars start with a crumb base, followed by a layer of light custard buttercream, then topped with a shimmering layer of chocolate. Nanaimo Bars are one of Canada's favorite confections, named after the beautiful city of Nanaimo, B.C. It all began when Mabel Jenkins, a Nanaimo housewife entered the recipe in a magazine contest back in the 1950's. She won the contest with these tasty treats even made the town famous for them. There are six variations of filling here at the bottom of this recipe. Buddha got this recipe from a co-worker named Kindalee.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (or almonds or pecans)
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons custard powder, Bird's brand (or substitute vanilla jello pudding powder)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- BASE: Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Stir in sugar and cocoa until smooth. Whisk egg with vanilla and stir into butter mixture. Remove from heat.
- Stir in crumbs, coconut and nuts. Press evenly over bottom of greased 9" square pan. Chill until set, at least 20 minute.
- FILLING: Beat butter with wooden spoon until light. Beat in custard powder and milk.Gradually beat in sugar. Spread over chilled base and let set in fridge.
- TOPPING: Melt together chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Spread in even layer over chilled filling.
- Store in fridge until chocolate topping begins to harden. Score topping into 16 small bars (bites). Cut before totally solid, use a hot knife, wiping clean between cuts. Store in fridge or freeze for up to 2 months.
- PEANUT BUTTER FILLING.-- 2 Tbsp Custard powder, 1/4 cup Milk, 2 Tbsp Butter; softened, 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter 2 cups confectioners sugar -sifted.
- MINT FILLING -- 1/3 cup butter, 3 Tbsp custard powder, Bird's brand (or substitute jello pudding powder), 1/4 cup milk, 3 cups icing sugar, 1 teaspoons peppermint flavoring, 1-2 drops green food coloring as desired.
- CAPPUCCINO FILLING -- 2 Tbsp milk, 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, 2 tsp instant coffee or espresso powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 2 cups confectioners sugar.
- GRAND MARNIER FILLING -- 2 cups Icing Sugar, 1/4 cup Butter; softened, 1/4 cup Grand Marnier or orange -liqueur, 1 Tbsp Orange rind; coarsely grated.
- BAILEY'S IRISH CREAM FILLING -- 1/3 cup butter, 3 Tbsp custard powder, Bird's brand (or substitute vanilla jello pudding powder), 1/4 cup Bailey's Irish Cream, 2-3 cups icing sugar.
- CHERRY FILLING -- 1/4 cup Butter; softened, 1 tablespoons Cherry juice, 2 cups Icing sugar, 1/3 cup chopped Maraschino cherries, 1-2 drops of red food coloring.