Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a cold dish, jellied fish. It is my version of a Ukrainian dish that is usually made with meat. It is really good served with horseradish sauce. I used Tilapia but any whitefish will work. Cook time is chill time.
- 4 ounces tilapia fillets (1 fillet)
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 vegetable bouillon cubes dissolved in water
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, slices (approximately 1 large carrot)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 ounce unflavored gelatin (2 packets)
- 3 slices lemons
- 1 leek, chopped
- Cook tilapia in microwave just until it is just done. Do not overcook or it will fall apart.
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil and add the bouillon cubes. Stir to dissolve. Add Worcestershire sauce, pepper, garlic powder, and sugar.
- Add the carrots and mushrooms. Cook until done.
- Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Use a cheese cloth or towel to strain the bouillon.
- Dissolve the gelatin packets in the bouillon.
- Pour 1 cup of bouillon into a rectangular dish and put into the refrigerator until it is semi-set.
- Cut tilapia into pieces and arrange on top of the gelatin. Arrange mushrooms and carrot pieces around the fish. Pour the rest of the bouillon over.
- Decorate with lemon slices and leek.
- Place in refrigerator a few hours until it is set. Serve with horseradish.