Recipe by JillAZ
This is a great freezer meal. I think it came from one of the Frozen Assets books.
Top Review by NoviceFreezerCook
This was lovely. I just had some freshly cooked, but I've frozen some too. I added more cayenne, because I love it, and also added some green capsicum (bell pepper), but otherwise stuck to the recipe. For how easy it was to make, the taste was fantastic!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into 1/4-inch strips.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch, 1/4 cup broth, soy sauce, cayenne and sherry. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add onion and mushrooms and sauté until onion is brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken and cook over medium hi heat until chicken is cooked through.
- Add onion and mushrooms back to pan.
- Pour in cornstarch mixture. Stir and cook until thickened and bubbly.
- To serve immediately:.
- Bring milk and 3/4 cup broth to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add couscous and stir well.
- Cover with a lid, remove from heat and let stand about 5 minutes.
- fluff couscous with a fork.
- Serve chicken/mushroom mixture over the couscous.
- To freeze:.
- Cool chicken mixture. Package in a large freezer bag or a freezer container.
- To serve from frozen:.
- Thaw overnight in fridge or thaw in the microwave.
- Prepare couscous as above.
- Heat chicken mixture on stove top until hot and bubbly.
- Serve over couscous and garnish with chopped cilantro.