Cinnamon Chicken With Couscous and Dried Fruit
- Ready In:
- 4 whole chicken legs, cut into leg and thigh pieces (about 3 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup mixed chopped dried fruit (such as currants, apricots, and prunes)
- 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped of fresh mint, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon ginger.
- Heat oil in large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces, skin side down, and cook until skin is brown, about 8 minutes.
- Turn chicken and transfer skillet to oven.
- Roast chicken until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate; tent with foil.
- Add onion to drippings in same skillet; sauté onion over medium-high heat until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add dried fruit and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon ginger; stir to coat. Add broth; bring to boil.
- Remove skillet from heat, stir in couscous and 1 teaspoon mint.
- Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Season couscous to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mound couscous on platter; place chicken atop couscous.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon mint and serve.
Join The Conversation
well as usual I did a few very minor adjuments to this recipe, seasoned salt was used in place of white salt, also I added some cayenne for heat, increased the amounts slightly and used a mixture of apricots and currents, I also sauteed fresh garlic with the onion, this recipe is right up my alley, I love the combination of flavors, thanks for sharing Annacia!