Recipe by Heather Plett
This is a nice side dish to serve as an alternative to rice or potatoes. Hearty and healthy - low fat, high fibre, and a good source of protein. I like to make extras and take it to work as a healthy lunch.
- 453.59 g mushroom, quartered
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 473.18 ml chicken broth or 473.18 ml vegetable broth
- 236.59 ml pearl barley
- 226.79 g can lentils, rinsed and drained
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Place mushrooms on prepared baking sheet in single layer. Roast for 15 minutes, stirring once.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat, cook carrots, onions, and garlic for 6 to 8 minutes or until vegetables soften. Stir in chicken broth, 1 1/2 cup water and barley. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until barley is tender and almost all the liquid is absorbed. Gently stir in mushrooms and lentils. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Gently stir parsley into barley mixture.