1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
A substantial chicken soup from India. From the cookbook simply titled "Rice".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup peanut oil or 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 2 chicken thighs
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or 1/2 cup light cream
- 6 cups chicken broth (homemade or canned)
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1Brown chicken in oil in heavy pot; remove and set aside.
- 2In same pot, cook garlic and ginger 1 - 2 minutes.
- 3Add onion and cook 5 - 10 minutes until soft and golden.
- 4Stir in spices.
- 5Return chicken pieces and add milk or cream, broth and salt.
- 6Simmer 40 minutes.
- 7Remove chicken pieces; discard skin and bones and return meat to pot.
- 8Add rice and chickpeas and bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mulligatawny Soup ( Chicken )
Serving Size: 1 (458 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 697.7
- Calories from Fat 336
- Total Fat 37.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 92.2 mg
- Sodium 1573.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 38.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: