Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A substantial chicken soup from India. From the cookbook simply titled "Rice".
Make and share this Mulligatawny Soup ( Chicken ) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 2 chicken drumsticks
- 2 chicken thighs
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk or 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 6 cups chicken broth (homemade or canned)
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- Brown chicken in oil in heavy pot; remove and set aside.
- In same pot, cook garlic and ginger 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add onion and cook 5 - 10 minutes until soft and golden.
- Stir in spices.
- Return chicken pieces and add milk or cream, broth and salt.
- Simmer 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken pieces; discard skin and bones and return meat to pot.
- Add rice and chickpeas and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
We used low sodium ingredients to significantly reduce the sodium content. We added curry powder and more cayenne, too. We also used an entire can of coconut milk (low fat, 14 oz.) and reduced the low-sodium broth proportionately. The soup was very good. This recipe is great!