A simple and delicious recipe for this classic chicken-vegetable soup flavored with Indian spices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 whole cloves, finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 lbs roasting chickens, cut into serving pieces
- chicken giblets, coarsely chipped
- 3 stalks celery & leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 11 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 2/3 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced (tart)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- lightly toasted sliced almonds, to garnish
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- 1Combine garlic and spices.
- 2melt butter in large skillet over medium- high heat. Add chicken and sauté until lightly browned on all sides.
- 3Add giblets and sauté until cooked through.
- 4transfer chicken and giblets to stockpot. Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet . Add celery, onion, carrot, leek and spice mixture and blend well.
- 5add a small ladle of stock as cook over low eat, stirring constantly, until vegetable are tender.
- 6Add to chicken.
- 7stir in remaining stock and season with salt and pepper.
- 8cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- 9Remove chicken with slotted spoon and set aside. Add rice to soup and continue cooking 15 minutes.
- 10When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut meat into bite-size pieces, discarding skin and bones.
- 11return chicken to soup and blend in apples and yogurt. Simmer 10 minutes.
- 12degrease soup if necessary.
- 13Stir in lemon juice, then blend in coconut milk.
- 14taste and adjust seasoning.
- 15Pour into heated tureen and sprinkle with parsley and almonds.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mulligatawny Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (528 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 517.1
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 105.6 mg
- Sodium 501.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 29.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: