Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A simple and delicious recipe for this classic chicken-vegetable soup flavored with Indian spices.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 whole cloves, finely crushed
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 lbs roasting chickens, cut into serving pieces
- chicken giblets, coarsely chipped
- 3 stalks celery & leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 11 cups chicken stock
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 2⁄3 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced (tart)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 2⁄3 cup coconut milk
- lightly toasted sliced almonds, to garnish
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Combine garlic and spices.
- melt butter in large skillet over medium- high heat. Add chicken and sauté until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add giblets and sauté until cooked through.
- transfer chicken and giblets to stockpot. Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet . Add celery, onion, carrot, leek and spice mixture and blend well.
- add a small ladle of stock as cook over low eat, stirring constantly, until vegetable are tender.
- Add to chicken.
- stir in remaining stock and season with salt and pepper.
- cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken with slotted spoon and set aside. Add rice to soup and continue cooking 15 minutes.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut meat into bite-size pieces, discarding skin and bones.
- return chicken to soup and blend in apples and yogurt. Simmer 10 minutes.
- degrease soup if necessary.
- Stir in lemon juice, then blend in coconut milk.
- taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pour into heated tureen and sprinkle with parsley and almonds.