Chicken Mulligatawny Soup from "the Frugal Gourmet"
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken thighs
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ghee (see Ghee recipe) or 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 yellow onion, medium, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried ginger, ground
- 2 teaspoons salt
- chopped fresh coriander
- fresh ground pepper
- In a 4-quart pot, simmer the chicken, covered, in 4 cups of water until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove, cool, debone, and chop the meat and skin coarsely.
- Save the stock in the pot.
- Set the meat aside.
- Heat a large frying pan and add the ghee, garlic, onion, celery, and carrot.
- Saute just until the onion is tender.
- Add this to the pot of reserved stock.
- Add 4 more cups of water to the pot along with all remaining ingredients except the garnishes and chicken.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the deboned chicken.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with the fresh coriander and black pepper.
- I like lots of black pepper in this dish!
Join The Conversation
This soup is wonderful! Great combination of spices, and I love the coriander and black pepper garnish. I chopped a bought rotisserie chicken as a shortcut, and used canned fat free chicken broth. I also cut back on the red pepper. It was perfect, and will be made over and over again in my kitchen. Next time I'm going to try the RoTel as was suggested. Thanks VideoJeff, for my new favorite chicken soup recipe!