Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
It has become our tradition to make this on christmas morning and serve to the guests when they arrive. My DH and I also have it on cold evenings, sitting by the fire. Please do try it. The ginger might seem too much but it isn't, just makes it spicy. Don't replace the ginger with powdered ginger, it won't end up tasting the same. Fresh Ginger freezes beautifully, just peel and freeze in ziplock bags. When needed, either defrost and slice or else grate while still frozen. I never buy expensive wine for this recipe, but that is your choice. Add the orange just before serving or they will turn red in the wine.
- 10 cardamom pods (split in half)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (whole)
- 6 cloves
- 100 g fresh gingerroot (sliced)
- 1 (750 ml) bottle red wine
- 85 g sugar
- 1 fluid ounce vodka (optional)
- 1 orange, sliced for serving
- Pour wine into a sauce pan with the wine, sugar and spices.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to macerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Add the vodka, a slice of orange and serve.