Mulled Spiced Wine
Lots of spice and good cheer to warm you and your guest during the cold winter holidays! Hibiscus flowers can be omitted or hibiscus tea bag can be used. Serve right from the crock pot so it stay warm can be diluted with a little warmed water or cranberry juice. Garnish with fresh Cranberries.
- Ready In:
- 1 quart red wine
- 1 1 cup rum or 1 cup brandy
- 2 cups water
- 1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise in half
- 10 cardamom pods
- 5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (Or use a whole orange cut in 1/2)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated use the whole lemon cut in 1/2
- 3 dried hibiscus flowers (optional)
- sugar, to taste
- almonds, blanched
- Bring the wine, port, water, vanilla, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, allspice, orange peel or whole orange cut in half, lemon peel or whole lemon cut in half, hibiscus flowers and sugar to a simmer in a nonreactive saucepan.
- Or place in a slow cooker on low for 1-2 hours.
- Simmer the mixture slowly for 15 minutes.
- Strain and place into Heat resistant punch bowl or keep in crock pot and keep on low.
- Place 1 blanched almond and several raisins or fresh cranberries in the bottom of each punch glass.
- Pour the warm wine mixture over and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
So delicious and warming. Perfect addition to a cold January evening. I skipped the cardamom (I didn't have any) and used Cointreau in place of rum/brandy since that's what I had in the house. I also threw a bag of fresh cranberries in the Crock Pot with the rest of the ingredients. The result was very similar to the one I used to drink in Poland during holidays. Yum! Thank you Rita.