Great bread to make Linda's Muffuletta Sandwich New Orleans Style topped with Olive Salad. You just gotta try one of these New Orleans Po Boys! You'll be glad you did! Preparation time includes rising time for dough.
- In a 2 cup glass measuring cup, combine water and sugar.
- Stir in yeast. Let stand until foamy, 5-10 minutes.
- In a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine 3 cups flour, salt and shortening.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Process until dough forms a ball, about 5 seconds. Stop machine, and check consistency of dough. It should be smooth and satiny.
- If dough is too dry, add more warm water, 1 tablespoon at a time, processing just until blended.
- If dough is too sticky, add more flour, 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time, processing just until blended. Process 20 seconds to knead.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, swirling to coat bottom and sides.
- Place dough in the oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat all sides.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk,.
- about 1 1/2 hours.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- When dough has doubled in bulk, punch down dough, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Form dough into a round loaf about 10" in diameter, and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle top of loaf with sesame seeds.
- Press seeds gently into surface of loaf.
- Cover very loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise until almost doubled in bulk, 1 hour.
- Place rack in center of oven.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Remove plastic wrap.
- Bake loaf in center of preheated oven, for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375, and bake 25 minutes.
- The loaf is done when it sounds hollow when tapped on bottom.
- Cool completely on a rack before slicing.