Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not as difficult as it may sound, this dish has it all: meat, vegetables and dairy. A tasty main dish that's good and good for you!
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup beef or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- olive oil
- 8 ounces eggplants, cut crosswise in 1/4 inch thick slices (3 cups)
- 1 medium yellow peppers or 1 medium green pepper, cut in 1 inch squares
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled fine (1/2 cup)
- Mix in bowl the ground lamb or beef, garlic powder, oregano, and pepper.
- In separate bowl, stir until blended the broth, tomato paste and sour cream.
- Set aside.
- Place Dutch oven over high heat 3 minutes until very hot.
- Add 1 Tbsp.
- olive oil.
- Coat bottom.
- Add meat mixture and stir-fry, breaking up meat until no longer pink, about 1 minute.
- Spoon meat mixture and juices into a large bowl.
- Heat 2 more Tbsp.
- olive oil in the Dutch oven.
- Add eggplant and stir-fry 2-3 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add bell pepper.
- Stir-fry 1 minute until pepper is crisp-tender and eggplant is crisp-tender.
- Add to bowl with meat mixture.
- Add frozen onion and green peas to Dutch oven.
- Stir-fry 1 minute until thawed.
- Add broth mixture.
- Bring to a boil and boil 30 seconds until mixture thickens.
- Return meat and vegetables to pot.
- Add the cheese and stir 1 minute until mixture is evenly coated with sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Very tasty. I had to change the instructions a bit - using slices of Eggplant didn't work, so I ended up cutting them into quarters. I didn't have tomato paste, but a tomato so I ended up adding that to the Eggplant, with raw onion and gradually adding everything else back in. I sub'd yogurt for sour cream, but it turned out very tasty. Thanks!
My husband and I both enjoyed this. It was quick to make and even tasted good the following day, reheated. I dislike oregano so I added dried pasley instead and it came out good. Authentic moussaka is very labour intensive so this is a nice alternative.
I enjoyed it. But when I cooked it the second time Instead of sour cream I used a soft cream-cheese.And I used peanut oil instead of olive. It just change's the taste a we bit.....PT.