Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a very hearty sauce that I got from a box of RF Mostaccioli Pasta over 30 years ago.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped bacon (about 3 slices)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- Heat Oil, brown bacon until tender. Add ground beef, ground pork & onion and cook until meat is done. Add all remaining ingredients except the tomato paste and simmer under low heat for 1 hour. Add tomato paste and continue simmering for another 15 minutes.
- Serve over mostaccioli noodles.
I have been looking for this recipe this past year. Its not on the box anymore.I made it alot when we were first married !!!Family favorite!Thanks so much!
A great meat sauce. I used it over spaghetti and substituted turkey bacon and ground turkey for the pork. It was still excellent.
This is the best recipe for Mostaccioli Sauce. This was the recipe for years on the R & F Pasta box when I was growing up. When R & F sold out eventually the brand was discontinued. This is easy and very tasty as well.