Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
An exotic warm stew that is loved by all and is very easy to make. Also delicious as a vegetarian dish, without chicken. Serve over couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook the chicken, onion, and garlic about 15 minutes, until browned.
- Mix the squash, garbanzo beans, carrot, tomatoes with juice, broth, sugar, and lemon juice into the skillet. Season with salt, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, and continue cooking 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
Loved this! The butternut squash added a really nice flavor and made this dish have a creamier texture. Also makes great leftovers! Made for the Hot Pink Panthers, ZWT 9.
I made this in a tagine and it was very, very good. I added three medjool dates and it was just perfect for our taste, as I sometimes like to add a little sweet addition to a savory dish. I will make this again. Thanks for sharing the recipe.