Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
THIS is the recipe that shocked me!! In any normal flipping through a magazine or cookbook, I would have passed the recipe by without a second thought. BUT, I LOVED IT!!! Serve this with the Spicy Tomato Sauce that is also in this cookbook. Just a wonderful appetizer. A bit lengthy....yet worth the oooohhs and aaahhhhs!!! **NOTE: Rolls can be assembled (but not coated or cut) 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. They can also be assembled and cut (but not coated or baked) 2 weeks ahead and frozen, wrapped well in plastic wrap. Cut frozen rolls, then bake (do not thaw) in a preheated 350ºF oven for about 20 min.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄4 lbs chicken thighs, with skin and bones
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 8 phyllo pastry sheets, thawed if frozen
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- Cook onion in oil along with salt, cumin, ginger, turmeric, pepper, and coriander in 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring until softened, about 5 minute.
- Add chicken, broth, water, and cinnamon stick and simmer, covered, turning chicken over once, until meat is very tender, about 45 min total.
- Transfer chicken with tongs to a bowl, reserving liquid.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred; discarding skin and bones and transfer to a large bowl.
- Tranfer the cooking liquid to a 2 cup glass measuring cup (do not clean the saucepan) and let stand 1 min, then skim off fat and discard cinnamon stick.
- Return liquid to saucepan and simmer over medium high heat, uncovered, until reduced to about 1/4 cup (liquid will look like a glaze in bottom of pan), about 8 minute.
- Stir in the shredded chicken along with the chopped toasted almonds.
- Reserve 2 Tbs beaten egg in a cup for egg wash; lightly season the remaining egg with salt and pepper, then cook in 1/2 Tbs butter in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat, stirring until just set but still slightly soft.
- Stir the scrambled egg into the filling.
- Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Put 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface, keeping remaining phyllo covered with a damp kitchen towel.
- Brush the 1 sheet GENEROUSLY with melted butter.
- Evenly sift 1/4 tsp cinnamon over the butter phyllo using a fine mesh sieve, then top with another phyllo sheet and GENEROUSLY brush with butter.
- Cut the phyllo sheets in half, then arrange one half in front of you to work with.
- Spread 1/4 cup chicken filling in a narrow strip along the edge nearest you, then roll up filling tightly in phyllo.
- Before completing the roll, brush the remaining edge with butter to seal. No need to fold or seal the ends, just leave them open.
- Transfer roll, seam side down, to a cutting board set inside a baking pan (to help contain mustard seeds when sprinkled).
- Make another roll with remaining half of phyllo sheets.
- Make 6 more rolls in same manner, transferring to cutting board.
- Lightly brush top of rolls with egg wash and immediately sprinkle with mustard seeds, pressing lightly on seeds to help adhere.
- Cut each roll crosswise into 4 pieces and arrange pieces 1-inch apart on 2 baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 min, switching position of baking sheets after 6 min until phyllo is golden brown.
- Transfer rolls to a rack to cool slightly.