Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe online but I haven't tried it. It sounds delicious. Let me know how it turns out.
- 5 large red bell peppers or 5 large green bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups short grain brown rice, cooked
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Cut the tops of the peppers, remove the core & seeds.
- Place the peppers in a large saucepan with salted water. (The water should cover the peppers.).
- Bring the water to a boil, then cover and simmer on low 5 minutes. Drain peppers upside down on paper towels.
- Brown lamb and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice, mint, spices, cooked rice and 3/4 cup of the broth.
- Stuff peppers with mixture. Stand stuffed peppers in remaining broth in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes until peppers are just tender.
I've made this recipe 3 times and we all love it. I use roasted or braised lamb, cut off the bone and processed instead of using ground lamb. I thought the flavor and texture was greatly improved. I've never liked regular baked, tomato sauced peppers and was delighted to find this recipe. The peppers have a great flavor and are so tender, unlike the baked ones I've had before and I prefer the chicken broth method over the tomato sauce. Thanks so much for a great addition to my favorite recipes.
We really enjoyed this recipe! I'm always looking for something new to do with lamb, and this was a great idea. The stuffing was so good that I wanted to just eat it right out of the skillet, without waiting for the peppers. I did need to add more salt at the end, but that's just a matter of personal taste. I agree with another reviewer that pine nuts would be a nice addition to the mix. My peppers were fairly large, so I only got 4 servings from the recipe. A great meal, and one I'll definitely make again.
This was an easy to prepare, nice dinner. Unlike other reviewers, we found it to be a little bland, despite making no modifications to the ingredient list initially. In the end, we sprinkled generous amounts of crumbled feta inside the peppers which we thought helped improve the flavor. Thanks!