Mediterranean Lamb-And Couscous-Stuffed Bell Peppers
Reto dishes-like stuffed peppers- might remind us of long hours in the Kitchen, But these can be on the table surprisingly fast.Over flowing with Lamb and couscous, they are light and satisfying at the same time. Recipe comes from Sunset Magazine
- Ready In:
- 4 4 green bell peppers (2 pound total or combination) or 4 yellow bell peppers, rinsed (2 pound total or combination)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 ounces ground lamb
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 2⁄3 cups chicken broth (fat-skimmed)
- 1 1⁄4 cups couscous
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise through the stems and remove seeds.
- Place halves, cut side down, in a 12-by-17-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 450 degree, regular or convection oven until lightly browned and tender when pierced,13 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 10-to-12-inch frying pan over high heat, stir onions, garlic, thyme, mint and rosemary in olive oil until onions are limp and begining to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground lamb and 3 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Stir until lamb is browned and crumbly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth, couscous, and remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and remove from heat; let stand until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender to bite, 3to 4 minutes.
- Stir in parsley; add salt to taste.
- Turn pepper halves over; fill each with about 2/3 cup lamb mixture.
- Sprinkle feta cheese evenly over filling.
- Bake until cheese is slightly melted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer peppers to a platter.