Greek Lamb Stuffed Bell Peppers and Tomatoes
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 4 large bell peppers
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup rice, parboiled (if instant don't parboil)
- 2 tablespoons greek mixed spice (McCormick makes one, see recipe if you can't find it)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- Slice tops from tomatoes and peppers and clean, save them.
- Remove pulp from tomatoes and reserve.
- Put tops in baking dish and place veggies on top of them (keeps them from burning).
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon sugar in each.
- Heat 1/2 cup butter in large frying pan and saute onion till transparent.
- Add meat and stir.
- Add rice, spices**, and 1 cup tomato pulp (mashed).
- Cover and cook 15 mins, allow to cool.
- Mix breadcrumbs into meat mixture.
- Fill vegs and remainder of tomato pulp (mashed) on top of stuffing.
- Pour tomato sauce and enough water to bring fluid level to 1/2.
- Bake in oven at 350 deg for 2-1/2 hours.
- Check periodically to see that water hasn't dried up in pan, add more water if needed.
- ** If you don't have Greek spices combine 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon parsley, and 1 teaspoon mint. This will be close, adjust the parsley and mint to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a father of three older children (college age), an avid hiker who likes to actually cook on hikes instead of eating packaged meals, a woodworker, gardener, photographer. I design websites, specializing in sites for Non-Profit groups.