1/2 Photos of Moroccan Beef and Honey Tagine
9 hrs 30 mins
This is virtually the same recipe as French Tart's #1919460, (so I'm not claiming it as my own!) Having cooked it several times with a slightly smaller quantity, I've changed the quantities of ingredients just a little over time to suit the smaller size and my taste (and the fact that I can't find a 9 ounce tin of tomatoes). Also, to save confusing myself when using the Recipezaar conversion, I've done it in metric.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg stewing beef, cubed
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 medium carrots, peeled & cut into chunks
- 400 g can tomatoes, diced
- 120 g dates, pitted and whole
- 120 g prunes, pitted and whole
- 14.79 ml honey
- 473.18 ml beef stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 22.18 ml ras el hanout spice mix
- salt and pepper
- 40 g toasted sliced almonds
- 14.79 ml fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- 1Heat half the olive oil in a large pan or wok and quickly brown the onion quarters over a high heat until charred and coloured well. (Break them up as you're doing this.).
- 2Add the carrots and the chopped garlic and stir fry for another 3 minutes. Tip carrots and onions into the tagine (or crock pot).
- 3Add the tinned tomatoes, dates and prunes to the tagine/crock pot and mix well.
- 4Add the honey and ras el hanout to the beef stock, stir well and add to the tagine/crock pot. Mix well, then add the cinnamon stick.
- 5Heat the remaining olive oil in the same pan in which the onions were cooked and cook the beef cubes in small batches over high heat to sear and seal them. As each batch is browned, add the beef to the tagine or crock pot.
- 6When all the beef is browned and in the tagine or crock pot, season with salt and pepper to taste. Ensure everything is just covered with the stock (if not add a little water). Mix well and slow cook for about 9 hours.
- 7When ready to serve, garnish with fresh coriander and toasted almonds.
- 8Serve on fluffy cous cous.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Beef and Honey Tagine
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1040.1
- Calories from Fat 548
- Total Fat 60.9 g
- Saturated Fat 21.0 g
- Cholesterol 167.1 mg
- Sodium 571.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 50.3 g
- Protein 52.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ras el hanout spice mix