Ethiopian Spiced Honey Bread
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Also called Yemarina Yewotet Dabo. Ethiopia has a large supply of honey and this recipe helps to utilize it. Leftovers would be good as French Toast or in Bread Pudding I found the recipe at http://www.whats4eats.com.
- Ready In:
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water, lukewarm 110 degree F, C
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, warm
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 -5 cups flour
- In a small bowl, stir together the yeast and 1/4 cup warm water. Set for about 10 minutes to let the yeastproof.
- In a large bowl, beat together the egg, honey, spices and salt until smooth. Stir in the milk and melted butter.
- Stir in the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing to form a soft, smooth dough. Do not add all of the flour if the dough gets too stiff. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Remove the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes to form a smooth, elastic dough.
- Place the dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the dough again to a lightly floured work surface and punch down the dough and knead for about 1 minute. Form the dough into a round and place on an oiled baking sheet. Allow to rise again another 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F Place bread on baking sheet in the oven and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour till bread is lightly browned and sounds hollow when you tap on it. Remove and cool somewhat before slicing.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION