2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
My fiance Andrey used to take me to Moonstruck chocolate co. quite often for some of the best chocolate desserts out there. This recipe is from Moonstruck's Web site. Mmmm.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roasted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 10 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup hazelnut butter
- 6 tablespoons brewed espresso
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1Prepare the pan:.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 3Lightly spray a 9 inch spring form pan with pan spray.
- 4Line the bottom of the inside of the pan with a 9 inch round piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- 5Wrap a piece of aluminum foil around the outside base of the pan so that the foil comes up the sides of the pan about one inch.
- 6Place the prepared pan in a large roasting pan or baking pan that is at least one inch deep.
- 7Set the pan aside.
- 8The crust:.
- 9Place the hazelnuts, oatmeal, and brown sugar in the bowl of a food processor.
- 10Pulse the processor a few times then turn it on.
- 11Grind until the nuts are fine but not oil.
- 12Add the melted butter and mix just to combine all of the ingredients in the processor bowl.
- 13Press the crust mixture evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- 14Set aside.
- 15The filling:.
- 16Break or cut the Moonstruck dark chocolate into small pieces and place into the top of a double boiler along with the 1 1/4 cup butter.
- 17Fill the bottom of the double boiler with about one inch of water.
- 18Bring to a boil then remove from the heat.
- 19Place the top of the double boiler over the steaming water.
- 20Stir until the chocolate and butter mixture have melted.
- 21Add the hazelnut butter, brewed espresso beverage, and the Grand Marnier.
- 22Stir to thoroughly combine.
- 23Whisk the eggs and the 3/4 cup of brown sugar until foamy.
- 24Add the chocolate mixture and stir to thoroughly combine.
- 25Pour the batter into the prepared spring form pan with the crust in the bottom.
- 26Place the roasting or baking pan holding the filled spring form pan on the middle rack of the oven.
- 27Add about one inch of boiling water to the roasting or baking pan.
- 28Carefully slide the rack into the oven.
- 29Bake for approximately 45 minutes until the filling has set but the center is still shiny.
- 30Remove the spring form pan from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- 31Cool completely in the spring form pan.
- 32Place the cooled cake into the refrigerator and chill for at least six hours. Overnight is better.
- 34Chop the chocolate and place in a stainless steel or glass bowl.
- 35Place one inch of water in a small heavy saucepan.
- 36Place the saucepan on the stove and bring the water to a simmer.
- 37Remove the saucepan from the stove.
- 38Place the bowl containing the chopped chocolate on top of the pan of simmering water.
- 39Stir the chocolate until it is completely melted.
- 40Remove the bowl from the top of the pan and dump the water out.
- 41Place the cream and light corn syrup into the sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- 42Pour the hot liquid over the melted chocolate.
- 43Whisk the hot liquid and the chocolate together to completely combine.
- 44Set the chocolate mixture aside and allow the Ganache to cool for five minutes.
- 45Whisk the softened butter into the chocolate mixture.
- 46Finish and serve:.
- 47Remove the sides of the spring form pan.
- 48Place a piece of plastic wrap or foil over the top of the cake.
- 49Invert the cake onto a flat dish.
- 50Peel the paper or foil off of the bottom crust.
- 51Invert the cake onto a 9 inch cardboard cake round.
- 52Place the cake on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet.
- 53Pour the Ganache over the cake, using a small icing spatula to coax the Ganache over the sides of the cake. If necessary, use the spatula to spread the Ganache on the sides of the cake. The cake should be completely covered with Ganache.
- 54Allow the Ganache to set up until it is firm.
- 55If you are not serving right away, return to the refrigerator.
- 56Cut into servings using a knife dipped in hot water and wiped dry each time you make a slice.
- 57Place on a serving plate and garnish with whipped cream and fresh berries.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moonstruck's Hazelnut French Silk Pie
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 693.8
- Calories from Fat 568
- Total Fat 63.1 g
- Saturated Fat 34.9 g
- Cholesterol 194.7 mg
- Sodium 64.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 20.7 g
- Protein 11.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: