Recipe by Leslie in Texas
An easy, "company good" chicken dish that's long been a family favorite. Originally from a Southern Living magazine many years ago.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Yummy! This is a beautiful, company worthy dish, but also very easy. Loved the make ahead directions and will try that next time. I made a couple of minor changes. Since we like more rice, I halved the ingredients for the chicken rolls: chicken, cheese, eggs, and breadcrumbs. Sauteed the chicken in only 1/3 c butter, removed the chicken, then used that same butter to saute the green pepper, onions, and some fresh mushrooms I needed to use up. Would suggest using good quality long grain rice, like Uncle Ben's, to keep the rice from getting sticky after baking. My eight year-old son loved this chicken, which doesn't happen too often! On a side note, I realized after making this that I also clipped a recipe from Southern Living a long time ago called "Gold Nugget Chicken" which is too similar to note, except that it uses sharp cheddar cheese. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) package monterey jack cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 tablespoons diced pimentos
Directions See How It's Made
- Place each half of chicken breast on waxed paper; carefully flatten to 1/4 inch
- thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Cut cheese into 8 equal portions; place one portion in center of each half of chicken breast.
- Fold long sides of chicken over cheese; fold ends over and secure with toothpicks.
- Dip each chicken breast in eggs; then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Brown meat on all sides in 1/3 cup butter; set aside.
- Saute onion and green pepper in 1/3 cup butter until tender.
- Add flour to vegetable mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in chicken broth, salt and pepper; cook until thickened.
- Stir in rice, mushrooms, and pimento.
- Spoon rice mixture into a 11x9x2-inch
- baking dish and arrange browned chicken over rice mixture.
- *Can be done ahead of time until this point.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Bake at 400°F for 20-30 minutes or until heated through, increasing time 10-15 minutes if dish was refrigerated.