Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
A moist, delicious cake--my family has been making this version for years.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup unsalted margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon flour
- Beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Dissolve baking soda in water and add to batter; beat well.
- Add bananas.
- Add dry ingredients; blend.
- Pour chocolate chips into a separate bowl and mix with the remaining teaspoon of flour before adding to the batter (this can keep the chips from sinking to the bottom of the pan). Pour into a 9-inch square baking pan or bundt pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes.
I tried this out last night using half fat butter. It worked out really quite well. In view of the previous comments I folded 20g grated chocolate into the batter and reduced the chocolate chips to half a cup. If you're watching your weight and fancy a treat, this definitely hits the spot!
This is a great recipe everbody loves it adults and kids, so much that I keep losing the recipe as everyone wants a copy.
This cake was a hit!!! Everyone loved it! It was tasty and easy to make, I highly recommend. Based on another reviewers comments about the chocolate chips sinking, I added chocolated chips to the batter and I put a bunch on top (I used more than I cup of chips). The chips that sank made like a chocolate crust, but there were plenty that were in the middle and stayed on on top.