Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a recipe that's full of flavor! I've tweaked it quite a bit, the original recipe came from Taste of Home, mom's best edition. Serve with salad and garlic bread!! Cook time includes simmering sauce first and resting time.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional...I don't use)
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 (16 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, cook beef, sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Stir in the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1- 3 hours, stirring occasionally. ***This can be done up to one day ahead of time.
- While sauce is cooking, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, beaten egg, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, spoon a little sauce in the bottom of casserole. Then layer in this order: 1/3 of the noodles, 1/2 of the ricotta cheese, 1/3 of the meat mixture and 1/3 of the mozzarella and 1/3 of the Parmesan. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover with aluminum foil.
- ***This can be done ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to eat. Just leave lasagna out on counter for 30-45 minutes before baking.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes; uncover and bake for 20 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.