Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Everyone loves slices of this fork-tender roast beef and its savory gravy. This well-seasoned roast is Mom's specialty.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) beef eye round
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven; brown roast on all sides. Add onion and cook until transparent. Add coffee, 3/4 cup water, bouillon, basil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into pan juices.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove roast and slice. Pass the gravy.
Very good, made excellent gravy. A little overpowering with the spices, I might scale them down a bit next time. Otherwise great recipe.
This roast was just delicious! So moist and tender, and oh that yummy gravy! Easy to make too and the whole house smells yummy while it's cooking. My family (+ a couple of friends) couldn't wait to tear into this and there is not a scrap left. Thanks for sharing this great recipe! Made for Fall PAC 2008
This was wounderful! I had alway's made my roasts in my crockpot to keep them moist so this method of cooking a roast was new to me but it turned out great and in fact it was even more moist then when I cook them in my crockpot!! This was full of flavor too. My whole family loved this. I followed the recipe exactly as it is written and wouldn't change anything. This is a recipe I will definately make over and over again!! Thank's for sharing! Made for spring PAC '07.