Recipe by cxstitcher
Mom makes this wonderful stuffing every Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Now I have taken to making it for the family. Only we use the crockpot to cook it. If you want a nice moist stuffing, try this!
- 1 lb butter, plus
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 24 cups bread cubes
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup olive (optional)
- 1 cup chopped turkey meat, the neck and liver cooked and simmered for about 35 minutes on med-low in 3 1/2 cups of water and 1/ (about 3 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter in a skillet, and add the onion and celery. Cook, stirring, until they are lightly brown, transferring to a bowl.
- In a very large bowl,mix the freshly sliced mushrooms, bread cubes and seasonings.Mix your onions and celery into the bread mixture. Melt your butter in the microwave, and slowly drizzle the butter into the bowl while turning the bread mixture to mix. Mix your chopped turkey neck meat and liver in last.
- Fill your crock pot with the completed bread stuffing and turn on low. It will not all fit at the beginning, but I add more as I go. I usually start cooking my stuffing by 7:00am if I am having dinner at 2:00pm that day. About every 40 minutes, check your stuffing, and add about 1/2 cup of your saved broth and 1 cup of remaining bread mixture. Stirring well with each addition of broth. You could also use chicken broth if you run out of broth and want a very moist stuffing. By dinner time you have stuffing to die for and you would never know it didn't come out of the bird itself.