Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is the first recipe my mother taught me when I was twelve, and I really loved it. Now I stopped eating eggs and milk due to my allergy, but sometimes I bake this for my niece who looks like me so much. Of course, she loves it.
- 3 ounces granulated sugar (for caramel sauce)
- 1 ounce water
- 1 ounce hot water
- 3 ounces granulated sugar (for custard)
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cook sugar and water in a small pan over medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally, 5 minutes or until sugar melts and turns light golden brown. Remove the pan from heat, put hot water into the pan very carefully and shake it. Pour the caramel sauce into a cake pan and let stand 5 minutes(Sugar will harden).
- Heat milk and sugar in another pan over medium heat and remove the pan from heat just before boiling.
- Break eggs into a bowl and whisk well but not to whip.
- Pour the heated milk into the egg bowl in three or four batches and mix well each time.
- Strain the mixture and pour gently into the pan caramel sauce hardened.
- Place cake pan in a broiler pan. Add hot water to pan to a depth of 2/3 inch.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes and leave it in the oven until it cools down. Remove the cake pan from water bath and chill in refrigerator at least 2 hour.
- Run a knife around edge of the pan to loosen; invert onto a serving plate.