Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was one of my favorite recipes that mom made while I was growing up. I make it all the time now for my husband and I. Since I like to eat healthy, I normally make the sauce with lean ground turkey, but mom always made it with ground beef. The chili sauce is THE secret ingredient--don't leave it out!! It tastes great over spaghetti with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. It freezes very well and makes great leftovers.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) packagesliced white mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (can also use garlic powder)
- 1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce (I like Classico Tomato & Basil)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce (I prefer Heinz)
- In a large saute pan with cover, brown meat in olive oil over med-high heat; drain any fat or juices that have accumulated in pan.
- Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Saute with meat until onions start to become translucent and veggies are becoming slightly tender (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add whole jar pasta sauce& whole bottle of chili sauce to pan.
- Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Bring to low boil, then cover& turn down heat so that sauce is simmering (normally low to med-low heat).
- Simmer for approximately.
- 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- If sauce has too much liquid, simply remove cover and simmer until the desired amount of liquid has cooked off.
- Serve over hot cooked spaghetti with sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, garlic bread, and green salad.
Very tasty, very easy. I'm not a fan of spaghetti but my wife really enjoys it so what can I say? LOL I'm going to make a double batch next time and freeze some of it. I suspect it will do pretty good and make for an easy meal for one of THOSE type of days.