This was one of my favorite recipes that mom made while I was growing up. I make it all the time now for my husband and I. Since I like to eat healthy, I normally make the sauce with lean ground turkey, but mom always made it with ground beef. The chili sauce is THE secret ingredient--don't leave it out!! It tastes great over spaghetti with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. It freezes very well and makes great leftovers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -1 1/2 lb lean ground beef or 1 -1 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) package sliced white mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (can also use garlic powder)
- 1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce (I like Classico Tomato & Basil)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce (I prefer Heinz)
- 1In a large saute pan with cover, brown meat in olive oil over med-high heat; drain any fat or juices that have accumulated in pan.
- 2Add onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and garlic.
- 3Saute with meat until onions start to become translucent and veggies are becoming slightly tender (approx. 5 minutes).
- 4Add whole jar pasta sauce& whole bottle of chili sauce to pan.
- 5Stir to combine all ingredients.
- 6Bring to low boil, then cover& turn down heat so that sauce is simmering (normally low to med-low heat).
- 7Simmer for approximately.
- 820 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- 9If sauce has too much liquid, simply remove cover and simmer until the desired amount of liquid has cooked off.
- 10Serve over hot cooked spaghetti with sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, garlic bread, and green salad.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Best Healthy Meat Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.5
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 36.8 mg
- Sodium 1051.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 15.1 g