Irresistible & Healthy Vegetarian Lasagna W/ Cream Sauce!
photo by Actsofswine
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 cups zucchini, julienned
- 2 cups yellow squash, julienned
- 2 (15 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups carrots, julienned
- 1 cup broccoli floret, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles (Such as Hodgson Mills)
- 3 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 15 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves or 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- ·Spray a 13”x 9” pan with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Set pan aside.
- ·Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat; Add lasagna noodles and cook according to package directions; Remove from heat. Meanwhile, continue preparing lasagna filling.
- ·Combine ricotta cheese and spinach in a small bowl and mix well; Set aside.
- ·Spray large skillet or wok with olive oil cooking spray and heat pan over medium-high heat. Cook zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli and garlic until tender. Add Italian seasoning and set aside to cool.
- ·Heat 4T olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and continue to saute, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes while gradually increasing heat to medium-high.
- ·Stir in milk and cook until thickened; Remove from heat and stir in 1/2c parmesan cheese.
- ·Spoon just enough white sauce into lasagna pan to barely cover the bottom.
- ·Line with 3 noodles and spoon 1/3 of the ricotta mixture (it’ll be a thin layer) down the center of each noodle. Top with 1/3 of the vegetable mixture and sprinkle 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese (about 1c) over top before covering with 1/3 white sauce. Repeat 3 noodles; 1/3 each ricotta mixture, vegetable mixture and mozzarella cheese topped with 1/3 white sauce for second layer. Repeat layering for third layer but omit remaining mozzarella cheese and set aside. Cover with aluminum foil; Bake 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- ·Remove aluminum foil and add remaining mozzarella cheese, 3T parmesan cheese, parsley and basil. Bake until top is browned, about 10 more minutes.
- ·Remove from oven and let sit 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was delicious! I added some extra flour to thicken the sauce a bit and used regular mozarella cheese and low-fat ricotta cheese. You can be flexible in how much fat you want in the cheese and milk. In the future, I will only add a half teaspoon of pepper because I am not much of a pepper fan. If my family wants pepper, they can sprinkle it on top! I will definitely make this again though, thank you for the great recipe :)
Made this as much as anything to show my other half that I could include mushrooms & cooked spinach in a dish AND enjoy it, which I did! I followed the recipe right on down, but did almost mince both the mushrooms & spinach, so all that would be scattered around in the lasagna! And, I must admit that it was absolutely great tasting! Definitely one I'd make again! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC Tag]