Recipe by lolablitz
This is a Awesome (!) meatloaf that I've adapted from a turkey meatloaf recipe from allrecipes.com. The original recipe calls for 2# of ground turkey, but this recipe is better with 1# of ground chicken and the added shredded veggies. You can use ground turkey, but I personally prefer the milder taste of ground chicken. This meatloaf tastes amazing and is a great way to incorporate more colorful veggies into your menu (or to hide them for picky little ones). Bon apetit!
Top Review by Amcwoods
I loved this and so did my husband. I too made some modifications. I used 12 grain bread to add whole grain, and it was still very nice. I also waited until the last 10 minutes to add the ketchup. I did have to drain off fat before I put the ketchup on, so don't be surprise if that happens.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (use panko, regular breadcrumbs will make the loaf mushier)
- 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb turkey
- 1 carrot, grated (approx 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 zucchini, grated (approx. 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese (or other cheese with a stronger flavor)
- 2 tablespoons salt-free Italian herb seasoning (I used Paul Prudhomme's Pasta Magic, but it has heat, so avoid if making for kids)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ketchup, to drizzle on top
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place milk and breadcrumbs in a bowl and let soak while mixing the rest of the ingredients.
- Pat and squeeze the shredded zucchini and carrots between paper towels to soak up extra moisture.
- Place ground turkey, carrot, zucchini, onion, eggs and cheese in a large bowl and mix by hand.
- Once the breadcrumbs have soaked up all of the milk, mix in the 2 Tbs of Italian seasoning and add to the turkey mixture.
- Stir in the seasoned salt, pepper, and worcestershire.
- Place mix in a greased loaf baking pan and drizzle the ketchup on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 55minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees. Remove from the oven, cover tightly with tin foil and let sit for 10 minutes.