Recipe by CoolMonday
This is an orphan recipe that I adopted from Recipezaar. When I made them, I used buttermilk, but I'd like to try them again with the sour milk. The only other thing was I didn't cook the first batch quite long enough and they sank in the middle. Was still good.
- 946.36 ml unbleached flour, Sifted
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml cinnamon, Ground
- 4.92 ml ginger, Ground
- 1.23 ml clove, Ground
- 1.23 ml allspice, Ground
- 1.23 ml nutmeg, Ground
- 78.07 ml vegetable shortening
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 4 large eggs, Slightly Beaten
- 236.59 ml molasses
- 236.59 ml buttermilk or 236.59 ml sour milk
- 236.59 ml raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice and nutmeg; set aside.
- Cream together shortening and sugar in mixing bowl until light anf fluffy, using electric mixer at medium speed.
- Add eggs beat well.
- Blend in molasses and butter/sour milk.
- Add dry ingredients all at once, stirring just enough to moisten.
- Stir in raisins.
- Spoon into greased 3-inch muffin-pan cups, filling 1/2 full.
- Bake in 350 degree oven 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot with butter and jam.
- Batter can be stored in refrigerator in covered container for up to 3 weeks.