Refrigerator Buttermilk Bran Muffins
This recipe came from my Canadian Living Cookbook.I have made these muffins for years and my family loves them and they're good for you. You can store the batter in the fridge for up to two weeks and make fresh muffins anytime you want. Use any bran cereal that is labelled all-bran or 100% bran; do not use bran flakes.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups natural wheat bran
- 2 cups all-bran cereal
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups raisins
- In very large bowl, combine bran and bran cereal.
- Add boiling water, stir to moisten and let stand 10 minutes. Add buttermilk.
- In another very large bowl, cream shortening with sugars.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add bran mixture to creamed mixture, stirring until blended.
- Mix together flour, soda and salt; add raisins.
- Add to bran mixture, stirring until evenly mixed.
- Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate at least 24 hours.
- To make muffins, spoon batter into muffin tins lined with paper baking cups, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake in 375 oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Make as many muffins as you wish, then return remaining batter to refrigerator.
- Batter will thicken considerably, but don't stir it before spooning it out.
- Recipe makes about 5 dozen muffins; it may be halved successfully.
- Baked muffins freeze well.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Update 3/2/22 -- I couldn't find All Bran anywhere, so used Bran Buds. The batter and muffins have a gummy texture. I hate to waste, so will bake them and we will eat them. I did score a box of All Bran at our local Target. Will store it in the freezer for longer keeping. I notice there are several Bran Buds muffin recipes out there, and I will try them! However, this is still the best recipe ever! -- These are DELICIOUS!! Even the raw batter was tasty! I followed the recipe exactly. I bought a 6 well muffin tin, which is perfect for two people. I don't think we will have the batter used up in two weeks; I probably should have halved the recipe. This was one of the best bran muffin recipes I have ever baked! I think it will be my standby. Bert, thank you for posting a terrific recipe!!!