Refrigerator Bran Muffins
photo by Sweetiebarbara
- Ready In:
- Mix all bran cereal, boiling water, and one cup of the buttermilk.
- Let mixture stand.
- Blend sugar with shortening (butter).
- Add eggs and mix.
- Add the flour, soda, salt, another cup of buttermilk, and the dates.
- Blend well and add to bran mixture.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate up to 2 months.
- When ready to use, do NOT stir!
- Dip batter into greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, if whole wheat, 30.
Mom used to make these growing up - I remember the big tupperware bowl that sat in the fridge with a lid on it and she would scoop out the batter to make fresh muffins in the morning. This recipe is as close as I remember - One recipe makes fresh muffins for hubby and I all week. If you want a change up add shredded carrots and cinnamon or add vanilla or rum extract. I add whatever dried fruit I have in the cupboard - dried cherries, cranberries, dates, figs, raisins or whatever I have on hand. These are moist and soooooo yummy
This a match to the recipe given to me in 1966 by an aunt of mine. She used 2 cups of Kellog's All-Bran and 1 cup of Kellog's Bran Buds = 3 cups like your recipe. This is delicious and a healthy boost to breakfast with a cup of coffee. Thanks for posting! And, yes, there are many variations on line, but I like the original.