Recipe by Kim Marie C.
A.1. Original Sauce Recipe Contest Entry. Everybody loves this layered dish once they try it! Starting with a slice of Yukon gold potato on the bottom, then adding a sautéed ground turkey mixture, roasted tomato, goat cheese creamed spinach and for the topper a fresh roasted pepper slice.
- 6 medium vine ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed basil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes (uniform in size)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground turkey (93 percent)
- 1⁄3 cup A.1. Original Sauce
- 5 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 5 1⁄2 ounces creamy goat cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse and dry tomatoes. Cut a thin slice off of both ends of each tomato then cut into halves and place in a bowl. Add olive oil, salt, pepper and basil, toss gently. Remove the tomatoes from the bowl and place on baking sheet about an inch apart (save the remaining oil mixture for use later). Put to the side.
- Rinse and dry pepper. Toss the pepper in the bowl with the remaining oil mixture coating all sides. Place on the baking sheet apart from the tomatoes.
- Place the baking sheet on top rack in a 350 degree oven for a total of 30 minutes Turn over the tomatoes and pepper after 15 minutes. Remove tomatoes from the baking sheet onto a plate for use later. Place the bell pepper in a zipper sealed bag. Put to the side.
- Reduce the oven to 325 degrees.
- TIP Set timers so you can continue preparing other items during cook times.
- Scrub potatoes, leaving the skin on place in pot of water, bring to a boil, lower and cook until ¾ done. Remove from water place on plate for use later.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in sauté pan, add diced onions, cook until beginning to brown, add garlic, cook for another minute or so until golden. Add the turkey to the pan, continue stirring and cook until browned. Stir in the A.1. sauce, cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat set to side for use later.
- Rinse, dry and lightly chop spinach leaves. Warm goat cheese in pot on stove, add spinach and keep cooking on low until creamy. Add the crushed red pepper, a pinch of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Remove from heat and place to the side for use later.
- Rub the remaining vegetable oil onto a baking sheet.
- Slice Yukon gold potatoes lengthwise about ¼” should get 6 slices from each potato. Place each potato slice on baking sheet about an inch apart.
- Layer as following: 3 tablespoons of ground turkey on top of each potato slice. Halved tomato slice on top of ground turkey. 1 tablespoon of creamed spinach on top of tomato.
- Remove roasted pepper from sealed bag and remove the skin, seeds and stem. Slice into 12 uniform size pieces. Place pepper on top of the creamed spinach.
- Bake in oven 15-20 minutes and serve.