Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A wonderful Asian chicken dish. Great for picnics and pot lucks.
- 4 lbs boneless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons shoyu (soy sauce)
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 8 tablespoons mochiko sweet rice flour, flour*
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons msg (optional)
- 4 stalks green onions, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 4 eggs
- vegetable oil
- Cut chicken breast into serving-size pieces and set aside. In a large container combine all ingredients, except the chicken, and mix well. Once the batter is mixed, add the chicken and stir until all pieces are coated. Cover and let set in the batter overnight in the refrigerator. The following morning stir the batter and put it back in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook. Ten minuts prior to cooking, take the container out of the refrigerator. Fill a wok or frying pan with enough oil to cover the chicken pieces and heat. Test the hotness of oil by dropping some batter in it. If the oil is hot enough, the batter will begin to cook on contact. If it does not, wait until it gets hot. Deep fry the Mociko-batter chicken until golden brown. Let the cooked chicken drain n a wire rack over paper towels, then serve.
- *Mochiko flour can be found in the Asian food section of your local supermarket, or at any Asian grocery store.