Recipe by Ceezie
This came from Prevention mag - they have it as a healthy dessert.
Top Review by peigidan
Thanks for this recipe! I am allergic to oatmeal and got to thinking about whether I could use cornmeal in a cobbler instead. Sure enough, Ceezie was way ahead of me. I had to cook it for about 55 minutes to brown up, but that may have been because I didn't let the berries thaw first. I also thought it could use more fruit, as the batter absorbed most of the liquid so it was a bit dry. Otherwise I thought it was fabulous. Thanks again. This is a keeper.
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups about 1 1/4 pounds frozen mixed berries, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat an 8" x 8" baking dish with vegetable oil spray. Set aside.
- To prepare the berries: In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar and the cornstarch. Stir to mix. Add the berries. Toss to combine. Transfer to the baking dish. Wipe the bowl clean with a paper towel.
- To prepare the crust: In the bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a fork or pastry blender. Add the Better Butter or spread. Cut into the dry ingredients until the pieces are the size of peas. Add the milk and stir quickly just to moisten. Dollop over the berries, leaving some bare patches.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the fruit is bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.