Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you like Gorgonzola, you will like this soup
- 2 small leeks or 1 large leek
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 cups water
- 4 -5 tablespoons miso (fresh or from miso soup mix)
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 lb sweet gorgonzola, rind removed
- 1⁄3 cup mirin (optional)
- 1⁄4 lb soft tofu (optional)
- Wash leeks and chop white and light green parts.
- Melt butter in a stock pot or dutch over over medium high heat.
- Add oil and swirl together with butter.
- Add leeks and sautee, stirring, until they just start to brown Add water, 4 tbsp miso paste, and (optional) mirin.
- Add 1/2 lb gorgonzola to soup.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until gorgonzola is melted.
- You may wish to skim out the blue veins when they rise to the surface if you don't like how they look, but it's not necessary.
- If you would like more cheesiness in the flavor, add the rest of the gorgonzola.
- If you would like more miso flavor, add the last tbsp of miso.
- Optional: chop and add the tofu in chunks.
- You may use an immersion blender to pureee the whole soup with the tofu for a silky texture, if you wish.
- Bring boil to a boil and serve.
- You can garnish with chopped chives or with little floating toast points if you wish.
Excellent recipe! Guests asked for it. Thank you ThymeOnMyHands.
I'm not usually a soup person but this unususual combination caught my attention. The soup is delicious and elegant. I made it with the mirin but without the tofy. I am keeping it in mind for my next formal dinner party. My husband had thirds!