Recipe by Debloves2cook
This is soooo good. Everyone will love it. The crock pot makes a wonderful blend of all these flavors. I served this over rice and the onions that cook with the roast make a great side dish. Your kitchen or in our case, our patio will (& did) smell wonderful. In Arizona, in the summertime you don't want to add any extra heat inside the house so I put the crock pot on the patio.
Top Review by Chef Mariposa Taina
Absolutely Spectacular! No modifications necessary, BUT you can play with it, which is why I love his recipe. It allows room for creativity, yet - it stands alone in yumminess as well. I added Worcestershire and upped the ginger to 1 tsp. I also seasoned my beef with kosher salt, pepper and marjoram before searing.
- 2 lbs round roast, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar (any kind)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and brown roast on all sides.
- In the bottom of your crock pot, place the sliced onions first, then the browned roast.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over roast, cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until meat is fork tender and falls apart easily.
- Pour the cooking juices into a sauce pan and simmer on the stove until reduced, about 10 minutes. Serve sauce over the top of the roast.