1/1 Photo of Middle Eastern Chickpea & Rice Stew
1 hr 25 mins
The nutty goodness of slowly browned onions, spices and sweet potato are offset by a burst of fresh cilantro in this chickpea and rice stew. Serve this hearty dish with whole-wheat pita and a salad of sliced cucumbers tossed with yogurt and a pinch of salt. Dietary Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat (3 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings). From EatingWell magazine April/May 2005, and EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook. Posted for ZWT 6 - North Africa / Middle Eastern region.
My Private Note
1 1/2 c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and cook, stirring often, until tender and well browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 2Add cumin and coriander and stir for about 15 seconds. Add orange juice and broth.
- 3Stir in chickpeas, sweet potato, rice and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover.
- 4Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the sweet potatoes are breaking down to thicken the liquid, about 45 minutes.
- 5Season with pepper. (The stew will be thick and will thicken further upon standing. Add more broth to thin, if desired, or when reheating.)
- 6Serve topped with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Middle Eastern Chickpea & Rice Stew
Serving Size: 1 (490 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.0
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 611.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 14.0 g