Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Lately, Mom's been doing quite a bit of my cooking thanks to being sick, dizzy, and nauseated. Other than canned chicken noodle, grilled cheese, and other "easy on the tummy" foods, potato soup is one of those things I'm enjoying because it's not spicy. This microwave recipe is relatively fast and pretty good. It's very basic and is a great "starter" recipe to be altered in any way.
- 2 cups potatoes, cubes peeled and raw
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion (we sometimes use the dehydrated minced onion)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices favorite cheese, thin slices (optional)
- bacon (to garnish) or chives (to garnish)
- Microwave potatoes, onion and water on high 8 to 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Cover and let rest 5 minutes. Mash potatoes with a fork into large pieces. This does help thicken the soup.
- Add remaining ingredients except cheese and cook on high 5 to 8 minutes to serving temperature.
- Garnish with cheese and bacon or chives.
Made this for my husband when we had some extra ham and he ate the whole entire thing minus a few bites from me and the kids, who all thought it was awesome!
Perfect for a super quick meal and it is a comfort food besides!!! I take care of my father and sometimes he doesn't feel like eating so I don't prepare a big meal. However, an hour later, he may feel he wants something good to eat and this is just perfect!! Thank you so much for the recipe!! Love, Becky