Microwave Cabbage Soup
- Ready In:
- 4 cups green cabbage, chopped or shredded finely
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2 onions, chopped (I use Vidalia sweet onions)
- 1 bunch scallion, chopped (green & white parts, reserving some of the green for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth or (16 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 cup skim milk, warmed
- 1 cup shredded carrot (approx 2 carrots)
- You will need a deep, heavy microwave safe cooking dish- such as a round Corningware casserole (no lid).
- Put butter in casserole and heat for 40 seconds on HIGH heat (or until melted).
- Add cabbage, onions, scallions, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Cook on HIGH 4-6 minutes.
- Add the broth and cook on HIGH another 15 minutes.
- Add the warm milk (I remove the soup from the microwave and heat up the milk for 1 minute or so in a glass measure).
- Stir in the carrots and return to the microwave to heat on HIGH 3-4 minutes.
- Test for seasonings- add more salt, pepper, or sugar if needed to suit your tastes.
- You may need to adjust cooking times for your microwave- if cabbage is not tender enough yet, keep microwaving in 3-4 minute intervals on HIGH,stirring, until veggies are cooked to your liking.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation