Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe several years ago on the net when I was looking for a dessert for a Cinco de Mayo celebration.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely grated almonds or 1⁄2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- Beat butter until light and fluffy; beat in the 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar, egg yolk and almonds.
- Gradually add flour to make a soft dough that you can shape with your hands.
- Pinch off pieces of dough the size of a large walnut and roll between your hands into round balls or form half moons.
- Place about 1 1/2" apart on ungreased baking sheets and bake in a 275 degree oven 45 minutes or until very lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheets until lukewarm.
- Sift about 1/2 of the 1 pound powdered sugar over butcher paper; arranged in a shallow pan, and carefully transfer cookies from baking sheet to sugar.
- Sift more powdered sugar over tops and sides; completely coating cookies at least 1/8" thick with sugar.
- Let stand until cool; store in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers of cookies.