Miniature Pan De Muerto
photo by Dobby_is_awesome
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 17mins
12 A little smaller then the palm of your hand
- 1. Combine the first 5 dry ingredients plus 1 1/2 cups of flour in a large bowl.
- 2. In a small sauce pan, stir the milk, water, and butter over medium heat until all the butter is melted. Pour the mixture into your dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon (or use a mixer).
- 3. Add the four eggs and mix well.
- 4. Then slowly add the remaining 4 cups of flour, constantly stirring to combine the ingredients.
- Once the dough is only slightly sticky, place it on a floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Put the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a towel and set aside in a warm place for approximately an hour and a half to allow the dough to rise.
- 7. Prepare two cookie sheets by covering them with aluminum foil.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, place it on a floured surface and punch it back down. Then spread the dough and divide it into four or five equal portions.
- 9. Take one portion and divide it again into four equal parts and begin shaping each one into a round loaf.
- 10. Repeat until you have 12 small loaves, placing six on each cookie sheet.
- Divide the remaining dough into 12 equal parts and begin creating the top design. Use each part to roll out the bone-shaped pieces and lay across the top of the loaf, criss-crossing them. Top each loaf with a smaller round piece of dough.
- 12. Set the loaves aside for another hour to rise again. I just placed them on top of the stove while the oven was heating up. Be sure to cover them with cling wrap or a hand towel.
- 13. Place both cookie sheets in a 350 degree oven for 15 - 18 minutes.
- While the loaves are baking, you can prepare your simple, sweet glaze.
- For Glaze.
- Combine the sugar and orange juice in a sauce pan and boil for approximately 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove and set aside.
- When the loaves have finished baking, brush the glaze over them while they are still warm.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!