Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Very fast, very easy, super tasty spaghetti recipe. I got this from Diana Kennedy, and tweaked it a bit. But the base recipe is the same. It is a regular on our menu when we both come home late from work and want something hearty.
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes (or 3 large fresh if in season)
- 1 cup chicken broth (low sodium is best) or 1 cup vegetable broth, for vegetarians (low sodium is best)
- 1 small onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro (or italian herbs, or both!)
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed
- salt and pepper
- Put canned tomatoes, broth, onion, garlic, cumin, herbs, and jalapeno in a blender and puree until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 3 TB olive oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Break the noodles in half, and "fry" in the pan until they are golden brown. Use a spatula and continuously turn them. Be careful, they burn easily, so don't leave them unattended!
- When they are browned (about 3-5 minutes) add the contents from the blender to the pan, and stir well to make sure all noodles are covered, and not sticking together.
- Cover, turn down heat to medium, and simmer until the noodles are "al dente", stirring occasionally. About ten minutes.
- If it is too dry, add a bit of broth, but it should be "fairly" dry.