Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A zesty twist on an old favorite from the Southwest chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- lettuce leaf (I like to use a pretty leaf lettuce)
- Slice or chop peppers, onions and tomatoes; arrange attractively on lettuce leaves.
- Dice bacon and fry until crisp; add chili powder, salt and vinegar and bring to the boil.
- Pour over salad and serve at once.
A nice salad to serve with a Mexican themed dinner. I used 2 green bell peppers, 2 medium tomatoes and only a few onion slices for 4 individual servings sitting on top of red leaf lettuce. I decided to use a white wine vinegar which had just the right amount of tartness. I did add a couple of avocado slices to the finished salads. Thanks Molly!